Friday 27 November 2015

Farm info


Some fun info found this week. I found a text file that has the names of all of the children:
robert
jim
wilfred
hector
Jessie
glorievienna

so exiting and then the following lines:
Smalfontein farm bethlehem
fredrick august crone

I was all excited as I had a new link to follow. So after finding a map of Orange Free State farms, I found Smalfontein. I knew that The Crone's owned Loch Athlone and Smalfontein seemed to be next door. I was so amused as the Welch's were obviously the Crone's neighbors. I decided to try and prove this before looking like a total doofus. Well just as well. The farm actually belonged to the Crone's.

Where the Welch farm is remains a mystery. I am sure it was closer to Harrismith as all of the official documents are from there.




Here are all the Documents that I have found about the farm. The top photo is the homestead.

The rest are all part of my investigation.


And finally here is what I am still looking for. This is the Welch homestead and the other picture is the entrance to the farm. I may need to do it by finding the mountains that I have seen in other photos.

Anyone with any memories or a OUIJA Board please share. I can remember the one visit to the cousins where their father spoke about a group that he had visited, where a man had been taken over by a Vietnam soldier and was speaking of his experiences.  Us children were tucked away in a bedroom, but, it left an indelible sound byte memory. I am sure I could pass a recall test on it and it was at least 40 years ago. so anyone speaking to our ancestors, just slip in the question... Ha ha just playing.


 These are farms around Bethlehem. Here is the link























This is after the old man had died and they had been moved into Mary's name.


Hope you have enjoyed this weeks episode of Where is your family?

Here are the links to the large pictures. Map1   Map2   Map3   Map4   Map5

Once again write a comment! They are fun and easy to do !


No comments:

Post a Comment